Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Putting my BSF lessons to good use already!!!!

The last week has been pretty interesting. It has caused me to go back and do what I call "reminding" to myself of how as a Christian I should act and respond to situations. However, I do believe that sometimes, things are just out of your hands. There is only so much you can do, then it is up the them; in other words, they will be held accountable. Romans 12:18 states, "If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men." This verse was a great reminder to me, that sometimes, there is nothing that you can do. I like how John Piper breaks down this verse into two points:

1. "We are only responsible for what others hold against us when it is owing to real sin or blundering on our part."
2. We are responsible to pursue reconciliation, but live with the pain if it does not succeed. In other words, we are not responsible to make reconciliation happen." (this comes for his sermon "Getting Right with God and Each Other")


I am called to offer true godly forgiveness.

Matthew 5:21-26 says21 You have heard that the ancients were told, "You shall not commit murder" and "Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court." 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever shall say to his brother, "Raca," shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever shall say, "You fool," shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell. 23 If therefore you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your offering there before the altar, and go your way; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering. 25 Make friends quickly with your opponent at law while you are with him on the way, in order that your opponent may not deliver you to the judge, and the judge to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. 26 Truly I say to you, you shall not come out of there, until you have paid up the last cent.

Now, don't get me wrong. Coming to this type of forgiveness for others is always difficult for me. I know it shouldn't be, but some people just take every ounce of patience that you have. Those of you who know me (my FF gals) you know that I can be VERY stubborn...and judgemental, have high expectations, and zero tolerance (to just name a few reasons why these situations are so hard for me!) This is probably the reason that God uses these situations to teach me. I always need to learn the hard way! My hope would be that all parties involved come to understand this as I have. That for them, requires salvation. This would be my prayer and the only way I can see that there will ever be true resolution.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh, Amen! I know what you mean... all of this applies to a relationship I have with a family member of mine. Hang in there!

April Elizabeth said...

Thank you Katie!