Thursday, July 10, 2008

Canada

I would like to give a big thank you to all of the Lawson clan for making me feel so welcome. Guy and Judy (Ryan's parents) were so sweet and I had a wonderful time in their home.

I traveled to Canada with Chrissy for her "baby party" as Jaima (who I'll introduce later) called it. We had a looooooooong day of travel to get to our final destination, and an eventful trip. On our first flight into Maine, we were stuck on the tarmac for 1 1/2 hours! This doesn't sound like a lot, but when you have the only two tv's that don't work on the plane, screaming kids in front of you, and a strong desire to get going so you can get your iPod video going; it is excrutiating. The flight itself was interesting. We had two obnoxious kids and their even more obnoxious parents in front of us, a poor old woman who peed herself in her seat thus thus leaving Chrissy and I between feeling sorry for her and being really grossed out by the smell, and a landing that was like an amusement ride when the pilot decided to tip ALLLLLL the way to the right.

We finally arrived in Portland, Maine and had a 4 hour drive into Canada. It was on this long drive that I realized I didn't have my passport. I was panicked. I think everyone was a little concerned. Little did we know that our tax dollars are going to great use with trained professionals who are not only a bit bored with their jobs, but are guilty of profiling. Guess I didn't fit the "terrorist" profile and really had no difficulty going back and forth across the border.

We arrived in Woodstock around 2am local time and were greeted by Ryan's brother and his cutie girlfriend Jaima. She was adorable. You would think after all of that, we would be exhausted, but we were pretty keyed up and she and I spent a hour or so giggling like school girls in Ryan's childhood bedroom. I had a blast nosing around at all of the pictures. All I have to say about that is MULLET!!!!!! ha ha ha!

On Friday we were taken out of the house by Ryan's brother Brad and his girlfriend. I think they had strict orders to keep us out of the house while all of the festivities were being set up. We went across the border to Holton, Maine. This was when I really noticed the profiling. Poor Brad was harassed on the way out and on the way back in! It was the 4th of July, so not much was open. We quickly headed back to their house and began to get ready for the party. Judy would not let us help AT ALL, so with not too much to do, Chrissy gave me a maternity fashion show as she decided what to wear.

That night about 40 strangers all converged to the house. It was the biggest group of strangers I have had to meet in a while. Everyone was so gracious and kind-especially Cindy and Phyllis. Those two made me think of apple pie! Chrissy got a ton of wonderful gifts and it was fun. Here's some pics from the party.

Chrissy and I as the party was winding down. I think you can see that our lack of sleep was catching up with us!
Chrissy, Ryan's Grampy and I. He was the cutest man. He wanted even more pictures taken!
Chrissy, Ryan's Grampy and Jaima-isn't she a cutie!?
Chrissy and Brad-poor Brad. I dragged him inside where the ladies were under false pretenses and then preceded to embarrass him as a "Ryan" substitute for a "Baby Features" game. He was a good sport and sat down to be scrutinized!







The next day we crossed the border again and went to this beautiful lake house in Maine. It was gorgeous. The water was fresh water and you could see all the way to the bottom. I had a fun time throwing water balloons using a giant sling and ate a ton of good food. We left that night and had a rest and then headed over the Ryan's Grampy's house (he lives one house down from Ry's parents). I got to see some really cool pictures of Ryan as a toddler and he was adorable with chubby cheeks and curly blond hair!

Sunday was our travel day and we had an uneventful travel time, but with the same strange landing. Maybe it's Jet Blue's planes or something. We came home to my six year anniversary party already in progress and boogied the night away at my house!

Thank you Chrissy for such a fun time. As always, I enjoy every minute with you. I have even more silly memories like Mandy the cat stalking you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like you had quite a trip! What a wild plane ride you had on the way there. I have always been intrigued with New England (never Canada, but that's ok!). Maine sounds quaint. Glad you made it home safely!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had fun! You're a good friend to travel that far.