Monday, March 16, 2009

Pregnancy Update (not a good one)

Today I visited my cardiologist for the first time here in Alabama. I will admit that I have been really putting this off because I have felt great and honestly thought that I was getting better. Needless to say, I thought wrong. The news was not good and today has been a tough emotional day for Pete and I. I've been beating myself up for letting this slide and poor Pete is trying to be my rock when I know that he is worried as well. I had to go for some tests today and we should get the results soon. They are again going through the process of eliminating other causes for the trouble. They want to make sure that it is just the pregnancy and nothing else. I would like to really say a quick nice word about the SAMC in Dothan. The lab was quick and the people were wonderful with me considering I was a blubbering idiot the whole time I was there.

They have increased my heart medication in the hopes that it will lower my heart rate as much as they need it to be. (So if my post is loopy, I started the new dose and it always makes me feel funny for a few days! I can't drive again...yuck!) They are going to monitor me weekly to make sure that the medication is doing what it is supposed to do. Apparently my body has adapted to the high heart rate so I don't feel any symptoms from the racing heart. (Which is why I thought I was getting better). My body being used to the racing heart can be a little dangerous as I am not feeling the signs that your body typically gives you when something is wrong. The good news is that the doctor can do it for me and the bad news is that I am stuck going to the OB and cardiologist each week. (It's almost an hour drive each way.)

Monday I go back and they are hoping that a week on the higher medication will do the trick. If not, they will bump me up again and that is as high as they can go while I am pregnant. (Let's not even think about what happens after that) I also am going to have another echocardiogram and a diagnostic ultrasound for the baby to make sure that my heart is healthy and that the baby is not feeling the effects from what has been going on. Please join us in prayer that none of this has had any effect on my sweet baby girl.

We are headed to Florida this weekend for a quick trip to be around people that love us. It will be good for Pres with all of the doom and gloom in our house right now to see his beloved Grandpa!

I would like to thank my FF gals-Chrissy, Abs, and Jax who rallied around me with just a simple text message. I love you three dearly and would not be able to do this without you! Chrissy...thank you for talking to me so that I could come home and be mommy this afternoon!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

April...you know that there is someone bigger than any of this in control and HE can move mountains.

Anonymous said...

I love you April!! I am home Praying today and be sure i'll be lifting you and that precious girl up!! He will give amazing grace and protection to you both! Jaxx

Anonymous said...

No problem! That will be $300;) Anytime my FF gal! I am praying for you and the baby. We know that he is going to take care of you both! See you in May;)

Anonymous said...

April, I am so sorry to hear things have been tough. Let's just pray for restored health and that the remainder of the pregnancy will go smoothly. Thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

April, I'm sure everything will turn out just perfect and you & Pete will be enjoying your new bundle of joy in no time. I will keep you in my prayers. Hope to see you this weekend maybe, but totally understand if you just need family time :) Miss you guys dearly, Holli