Monday, May 26, 2008

God's sense of humor...

Having a child has really made me understand my heavenly Father so much more. I now am beginning to see His love, grace, and forgiveness for us in a whole new way. I can also see that He must have a great sense of humor. He has given Pete and I a son who is the COMPLETE opposite of the two of us. We are both laid back, and tend to just "go with the flow". Pres is very much a type A personality. He likes schedules and consistency and does not do well with change. HA! I have had to learn how to be on a schedule and to keep things the same. This has not been easy for me as I get bored very quickly and will decide on a whim that the couch must be moved to a new place. These types if changes do not go over well with my son, and for the past 6 months all of the furniture has stayed in the exact same place. I have had to take my restlessness out into the gardens, and these change on a regular basis. The upside to this is that my yard now looks fantastic from my constant attention.

I have a story to share that happened yesterday that sums up the differences between us. Yesterday all three of us were playing in Pres' room. We were having fun sitting there doing very little, but hanging out with each other. Pete and I decide to take Pres' foam ball and throw it at the fan to have it fly around the room. I think we were justifying this silliness with the fact that Pres would get a kick out of it. Well...not so much. He didn't even notice. He sort of gave us this look, crawled over to his book shelf, pulled out a book and began to flip through the pages. He was not interested in our juvenile game. He wanted to look at his books. I am only a little ashamed to admit that Pete and I continued on with our game. We had the ball flying all over the room-even on occasion landing on Pres who would pick up the ball, throw it away from himself, and continue reading. Pete and I just kept looking at each other and laughing at this little creature who is such a learning experience for us. I think the big joke in all of this is that Pres has already learned to ignore us!

That poor child is going to be SO embarrassed by the two of us. We will be the ones in flip-flops and a t-shirt, while our son will be in loafers and khakis. I think, in the end, this is all in God's plan. We will help Pres to chill out, and he in turn will gives us the structure that everyone needs.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your son is already a couple of steps ahead of you! I bet he'd do well in our critical thinking class! :)