Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Maybe I can do this...

In this journey I've taken on of becoming (soon I hope) a psychologist, I have been working and taking classes non-stop. I've been challenged in every way possible and a lot of times have felt as if someone with my type of religious beliefs (being a Christian) does not belong in this field. Every class I take, I have had to challenge what is being taught as normal and go against the flow. I have held steadfast in my convictions and despite all A's I have been discouraged a lot of the time. This semester I had to get into the psychology of human sexuality. I was not looking forward to this class because I knew that once again my views would be the opposite of many of my peers. As we have tackled abortion, sex, divorce, and homosexuality I have respectfully been very different from a lot of my classmates (thank you Chrissy for letting me vent to you about them so that I can be respectful to them!).

Just before this Christmas break I had to assess three scenarios as a therapist might. They were tough and between trying to juggle what the book says, holding on to my values, and getting the format correct I was a big mess that I was going to completely bomb this assignment. I made Pete listen over and over again to what I was going to say (poor man knows more than he ever wanted to about elderly sex). I received my feedback today and was so excited and encouraged that I just had to share!

Here's what Dr. S (my instructor and sex therapist for the past 20 years had to say):

"I thought the paper was well written and you clearly demonstrated qualities of a therapist by outlining how a therapist would address each case. These suggestions were appropriate. I think you have the makings of a budding therapist:). Good job in this section."

So YEAH! There is hope that despite my utter disregard for a lot of the notions of psychology (such as people are generally good...NOT) I can logically and in an educated manner hold onto myself and still make a difference!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so proud of you!! Does this mean you are going to start billing me from now on?

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you! Good luck with all your ventures! :D I hope you either got or will get our Christmas card, :)

Anonymous said...

Don't let ole sour puss "personality" doc get you down...she's just a cranky old you know what! Remember that her husband AND her children left her so she must not be very good at what she does!

April Elizabeth said...

LOL Keitha...how did you know that it was her who had me so discouraged?! What a big cootie she is, I called my academic advisor about her and was told that there have been many complaints-esp about the DQ's and that academic affairs was monitoring the MB closely.